Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Rated Arena Battles

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
So, clearly I've gotten all hot and horny about this whole Arena thing I've built at spawn for you guys to use on your own time. Then I got further horny remembering all my wonderful fun times doing arenas in ye olde World of Warcraft in my day. As I lay in my bed this evening, I suddenly got the brilliant idea to try doing that very same system here on the server. Turns out I had the know-how to program it, so out of bed I jumped and straight to the coding did I go. Two hours later I have a very alpha very basic, but very working version of this rating arena system which I will heretofore explain.

The system is based off of Chess's ELO rating system. Wikipedia it if you want. Basically how it works is that everybody starts with a base rating of 1500. You play a match, and based on the rating difference of the opponents, your rating goes up or down. Whatever that rating is, the winner gains that much, the loser loses that much. What this does over time is separates out people based on skill. To ensure it's not just a flat rate gain/loss, the system awards rating change based on the circumstances of the match, like so:

-If both players are rated 1500, they rating change will be something like 18. Winner becomes 1518 rated and the loser 1482.
-If a player rated, like, 1700 plays a player rated, say 1400, the expectation is that the 1700 rated player will win. If he/she does win, she does not gain that many points since that outcome was already favored, something like 6-8 points. If, however, the 1400 rated player beats the 1700 player, that is considered an upset and that player will then gain something like 26+ points and the winner will lose that many; behooving high-rated players not to lose matches... obviously.

So, like I said, it's a very good skill-based rating system that, uninflated, does a pretty good job all by itself without much further tampering. The magic is of course in the equation. How the arena actually will work you ask? Like so:

-Players who wish to fight will /queue to fight. If there are two players in the queue, after a minute (perhaps less), they will fight each other regardless of rating. If there are more than two players in the queue, the system will attempt to pair the two closest-rated players. This ensures that you're not stuck at 1500 because you're constantly playing 1800 rated players, but, of course, the number of people queuing matters a great deal in this regard. So, the more the merrier!

Once your 'queue pops', you will have about 1 minute to /join the match. At that point you and your opponent (whom you will not know until the match begins) will be teleported to your posts and the match will (somehow) begin. Upon match completion, you will see how much the game was worth, the rating of your opponent, the server will see who beat who, and then the system will then carry on with the next match (after somehow doing some ensuring that people aren't still in the arena).

As with "The Pit" at present, matches will have both players wearing equal gear; and I've just learned how to disable dropping items when you die, so there won't be a mess of items all over the floor after a good night of slaughter. Now about half of this is already written, alls I have left to do is some of the timer-based things, building a copy of the Pit (as the rated arena will be more spartan and not feature spectators [for now]) and I should be able to implement a beta version of this Very Awesome Thing very soon!

Anyway, so I'm sure Mag's pissed cause I wasn't fixing generator bugs and all that, but I thought you (pvp) guys/gals might think this was neat. So, do ya? Shall we get some rated arenas going? Rest assured I'll manage a way to have a website that will show the rankings!

I should go to bed...

Oh yeah, and after a month or two or so of glorious pvp, a season can be called done, and the top players in the ratings will, come 1.5, be able to show off some fancy unique titles that they will wear for the duration of the next season.

-Crypt out

Skitch the Wolf

Slicer
I have to say, I'm impressed, Crypt. I like the idea. I don't really PvP all that often, but with this system you're thinkin' of, I'm thinking I might.

mopb3

Slicer
Very nice crypt, what with this and all the other stuff we been adding recently, we've no chance in hell of calling ourselves vanilla anymore though, not really a bad thing there though.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
mopb3 said:
Very nice crypt, what with this and all the other stuff we been adding recently, we've no chance in hell of calling ourselves vanilla anymore though, not really a bad thing there though.

What we lose in vanilla features I think we continue to gain in unique-ness.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I still have huge concerns over the lag players get in the arena. We need to find out why this happens. We had a similar problem in hyrules arena with lag but i think spawn is even worse.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I've considered two options here; moving the rated arena away from spawn, way out in the world; or, perhaps, making an entirely separate world just for the arena match, perhaps a flatmap with just the arena in the middle, so that players aren't loading unnecessary chunks. Those are the only things I can think of that would help; plus, generating a flatmap, means we'd have "current" chunks and not old chunks that may or may not cause some lag issues.

I may go with the separate 'arena world' idea. What's more, I could duplicate that world once or twice and, during peak hours, I could actually have multiple arenas being executed at the same time, rather than one at a time. This is probably the best bet, as the smaller the world, the less chunks, lag shouldn't be an issue (hopefully).

Zor95

Slicer
adderman500 said:
Sounds great. If admins are matched up can we use powers? :3

Unfortunately I have discovered that when a smite hits the wool and you don't have perms to punch it out, it will never burn out.

Cryptite said:
perhaps a flatmap with just the arena in the middle, so that players aren't loading unnecessary chunks.

I've heard that spawn chunks are never unloaded. This would cause server lag rather than FPS, but is this true or can it be tested?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
No way to know other than testing it. Thing is when you change worlds, your spawn is also changed, so I don't think the Loka world's spawn chunks would be saved if you went to another world.

Zor95

Slicer
I guess the easiest way would be to set up a redstone clock, teleport away, then come back and see if it's still running.

thelineguy

Slicer
Zor95 said:
I guess the easiest way would be to set up a redstone clock, teleport away, then come back and see if it's still running.

Sounds like the event horizon test in minecraft. Except it doesn't.

Zor95

Slicer
I set up a clock at spawn and a clock at Ember. Only Mop, Memrme, and myself were online and no one was within a few thousand blocks of them. The spawn one continues to run but the Ember clock froze. I'll leave spawn up so we can watch it a while.

If this continues to work I'll build another clock near the outer edge of spawn protection and see how that goes.

If every single block of spawn protection is always loaded that's over 300 (assuming my math is correct) chunks which may be causing some of our problems.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
That answers that question then; we need next to test whether that applies when there's a world switch involved.

Zor95

Slicer
You'll have to build one in Artifact. I think I can build one on the surface of the slicer course world.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Just do that, there's no difference in the world that you're going between, so long as it changes. So just go between loka and the course world and see.

Zor95

Slicer
It does appear to work at the slicer course spawn, but the entire spawn protection is not always loaded. I tried it in Capital and then 100 blocks closer and it froze up.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
The rated arena system is now available for testing. To enter a queue, type /queue. If there are other people queued, you will be matched with an opponent and then will be notified when your arena is ready. Once it is, type /join. At that point, where you are and what you have on you/in your inventory will be saved and you will be warped to the arena. This is still a work in progress, so if you have any very nice gear, I would recommend storing it before entering just in case. Once both players have joined, the arena doors will open in 10 seconds and the fight will be on!

Best of luck, and kindly report any bugs here!

Back