Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Rated Arena Battles

Zor95

Slicer
Cryptite said:
I can probably incorporate some extra info in /queue. Spectate will be more difficult because, soon there will be multiple arenas (multiple copies of one as well as other arena builds) and there won't necessarily be an easy way to match spectators with matches unless you just wanted to potentially randomly watch them.

Random would be good if each arena is on a different world. Otherwise most servers go for flight, invisibility, and adventure mode.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Well after discussing some chunk stuff with some people on the bukkit forums, turns out the best way for multiple arenas is actually on the same world as when the server is loaded, I literally do watch each world's spawn area generated into memory.

But spectate shouldn't be too hard, really. I just add spectators to the list of people warped to an arena and make spectator stands or give them invisibility for the duration of the match; perhaps flight, even. Low on the priority list though.

thelineguy

Slicer
Perhaps we could have...

Team matches?

2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5, more maps (I possess the ideas), more everything.

:3

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Probably gonna hold an arena building competition. I've planned for 2v2 arenas, 3v3 may be a bit much; any more than that would just be, well, blasphemy.

thelineguy

Slicer
Cryptite said:
any more than that would just be, well, blasphemy.

picture.php

Hold your darn horses.

thelineguy

Slicer
Hey hey, it's still a very good map design. For 5v5.

(Such a good design that it has been used in 1001 clone games)

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Sure, but these are arenas without any building based dynamics or any other such similar thing, just straight mano-a-mano; so advanced terrain isn't needed.

Zor95

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Probably gonna hold an arena building competition. I've planned for 2v2 arenas, 3v3 may be a bit much; any more than that would just be, well, blasphemy.

So we can begin to consider designs: What are the approximate dimensions you will be looking for?

Also, will what those clever bukkit peoples said help with the lag?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I have no idea what the problem with the lag is. All I talked to them about was how to run multiple instances of arenas. Right now there's only one running, so the question becomes how much worse will/won't the lag be with multiple running arenas. I haven't personally gotten any at all. I've seen memrme lag out once, but that's all. Is everybody getting it? Is the lag constant? Is it at the beginning of the match? The whole way through?

As for schematics; they should equal roughly the size of the current arena. Shapes are not a limiting factor; they can be square, rectangular, round. The only requirements will be a piston doorway (which I will convert to the necessary stuff to make it work with the plugin; don't worry about rigging any of the redstone).

Zor95

Slicer
Magpie... very interesting.

Is there any way to remove my first loss in which you used /kill on me? :p

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I personally think once its out of beta (once all the bugs have been ironed out and we get some new arenas) we should wipe the scores.

Zor95

Slicer
Oh yeah I believe Crypt said he'd wipe them multiple times before the arena is considered done.

Still... I'd like to have the highest win:loss ratio :)

Thieflord304

Slicer
Another strange thing that happened last night, I was fighting someone, they logged before the match started, then logged back in. I suppose it registered them as not in the arena, so once I killed them, it dropped all their items and they just died normally, and I stayed in the arena. So I did /suicide, and the win went to the other player.

Zor95

Slicer
Well the entire server is pretty much unplayable for me atm. I get *massive* lag for everything.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Thieflord304 said:
Another strange thing that happened last night, I was fighting someone, they logged before the match started, then logged back in. I suppose it registered them as not in the arena, so once I killed them, it dropped all their items and they just died normally, and I stayed in the arena. So I did /suicide, and the win went to the other player.

-Fixed.
-Suicides or deaths during the 30 second match start now count as a loss for that player.
-Other potential match-breaking bugs fixed.

Unsure about the whole lag situation at the moment, unfortunately.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I may or may not have resolved some lag issues, but I'd need you guys to run arenas and test them. I found a plugin in which I can keep chunks forever loaded in the server memory. While this sounds bad, it only seemed to add an extra 150mb of RAM (out of 6gb) usage to the server (since the arena world is so small and is mostly air), and, from what I can tell at least, chunks loaded superfast when I warped to the arena.

Of course I'm also testing this on a very good internet connection at work, in the same state as the server, with 0 people on the server but myself; so, please tell me if things have gotten better or worse!

I also threw NoLagg on, cause, why not. Tell me if crap breaks.

Back