Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Rated Arena Battles

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Three bugs as of now that i've experienced at least 3 times.

When repeatedly /queue ing after a battle, you have a chance of entering invisible to the arena

When you /queue, then /join but the opponent doesn't /join, you enter the arena. After ten seconds, the gates open and you are free to move out until someone else /join's. When said person joins, the gates close but you can still be outside and be right out of his/her gate.

When the thirty seconds remain message comes on, it takes way more than 30 seconds to actually finish the battle and a tie to be called

mopb3

Slicer
Not really a bug as such, but any damage you take in the arena stays with you when you teleport back, so might wanna just heal players when they go back

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
mopb3 said:
Not really a bug as such, but any damage you take in the arena stays with you when you teleport back, so might wanna just heal players when they go back

Fixed.

Also, arena matchmaking has been improved. Players who have been in the queue longer are now preferred. Potions added, and lots of other bugfixes.

thelineguy

Slicer
Perhaps we could use a fancy class system.

Like before queuing, you choose a preferred class, which is the kit that replaces your inv.

eg. Fighter - iron sword, iron armour
Archer - Bow + arrows, leather armour, stone sword
Rogue - Diamond sword, leather armour
Alchemist - Stone sword, leather armour, assortment of potions

And of course they'd have to be balanced so no class is OP compared to the others.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
thelineguy said:
Perhaps we could use a fancy class system.

Like before queuing, you choose a preferred class, which is the kit that replaces your inv.

eg. Fighter - iron sword, iron armour
Archer - Bow + arrows, leather armour, stone sword
Rogue - Diamond sword, leather armour
Alchemist - Stone sword, leather armour, assortment of potions

And of course they'd have to be balanced so no class is OP compared to the others.

Balance would be exactly the problem; and a huge one at that. The only way this would work is that the opponents could be assigned these by random, but they'd both have to be the same class to ensure fairness. I've mulled the idea of 'random gearsets' but they couldn't be different among the same two fighters, or people would cry foul quite hastily I fear. And even that, some people are better at melee, archery, potions, etc; I can easily see the not-good-at-archery people crying foul if they were made archers and their opponent happened to be very skilled at it.

thelineguy

Slicer
But this way they can choose their preferred class and everybody will be on their A game.

Or, you could have a points system where you create a customised set and you have like 50 points to spend on various bits of weaponry, potions, armour, items, etc.

adderman500

Slicer
There is no reason for any class idea to allow you to suit your preferred style when you can just do that anyway by using a bow instead of a sword from the kit given to you at the moment. Leave it as it is, it seems to work well and simplicity is good.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
thelineguy said:
But this way they can choose their preferred class and everybody will be on their A game.

By providing a set of gear that contains all of these (iron armor, archery equipment, AND potions) in one gearset for the arena, it will ensure that they can use whatever they want but also not be worried that the set is tailored to one fighting style. I suspect that's why Mag chose this gear lineup for Hyrule's Tournament. It seemed to work well, that's why I copied it.

thelineguy said:
Or, you could have a points system where you create a customised set and you have like 50 points to spend on various bits of weaponry, potions, armour, items, etc.

This is where it becomes even more like WoW's arena. You would win 'honor points' when winning pvp games that you could then spend on "pvp gear". While this is neat in that it gives players an incentive to pvp for rewards, it opens up a can of unfairness worms in the same light; that good players in pvp will gear up faster and then will have superior gear, meaning fights will be tipped in their favor. I'm open to more ideas on this though on how we might balance it somehow.

Psychedelic98

Slicer
In WoW they match people with similar ratings. Also honor is awarded to both winners and losers so that those who play more have better gear, which benefits those less skilled at PVP because it gives them a chance to gear up of they keep trying.

thelineguy

Slicer
Oh yes and in LoL, there's another system which runs alongside the (late) ELO system.

So like psych said, winners are awarded points and so are losers, the losers getting less. Winners can then use these points to buy new characters. In this case, perhaps to customise their pvp kit.

Perhaps they can use the points to swap out certain pieces of their kit for others?

adderman500

Slicer
I'd suggest spending earned points on upgraded gear, perhaps something simple like basic low-level enchantments for swords or bows, etc.

thelineguy

Slicer
adderman500 said:
I'd suggest spending earned points on upgraded gear, perhaps something simple like basic low-level enchantments for swords or bows, etc.

That would give an unfair edge, though.

Higher elo players can snowball.

Meaning that since they won, they can enchant something, then win more, and enchant more, etc etc.

adderman500

Slicer
I was about to type that it would have balancing issues, however I was distracted. What perks would you suggest you could buy with these points then?

mopb3

Slicer
adderman500 said:
I was about to type that it would have balancing issues, however I was distracted. What perks would you suggest you could buy with these points then?
You don't really earn points, rather a number that's referenced for ranking.

Opyc

Slicer
Suggestion:

/spectate to watch

/match tells current people and time remaining

Opyc

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I can probably incorporate some extra info in /queue. Spectate will be more difficult because, soon there will be multiple arenas (multiple copies of one as well as other arena builds) and there won't necessarily be an easy way to match spectators with matches unless you just wanted to potentially randomly watch them.

Back