Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Rated Arena Battles

mopb3

Slicer
Cryptite said:
Also, a basic version of the rankings online is now available here!
Haaaaang on a second, it says I have one win when I've beaten about 5 people, including Thief twice.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
mopb3 said:
Haaaaang on a second, it says I have one win when I've beaten about 5 people, including Thief twice.

I've had to manually reset some players' rankings several times; those results are not exactly accurate. It's a beta!

Also, added /leave command. This will remove you from the queue or, if you're in a match:
-If the other player hasn't joined yet, you will be returned to the queue (in your proper spot, as well) and restored where you were
-If both players have joined, leaving will result in a loss.

More bugfixes as well.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
My thoughts on any sort of pvp-obtained armor would just be like... leather armor with enchants to make them fairly equivalent to the amount of armor you'd get wearing an iron set; the difference being, perhaps, that you could change the leather armor dye color to indicate progress, like reaching the 1600, 1800, 2k brackets or something. These armor sets would only be usable/viewable in arenas. That way you could have a reward, but it'd be aesthetic, rather than unbalancing.

Just a thought anyway.

Zor95

Slicer
Cryptite said:
My thoughts on any sort of pvp-obtained armor would just be like... leather armor with enchants to make them fairly equivalent to the amount of armor you'd get wearing an iron set; the difference being, perhaps, that you could change the leather armor dye color to indicate progress, like reaching the 1600, 1800, 2k brackets or something. These armor sets would only be usable/viewable in arenas. That way you could have a reward, but it'd be aesthetic, rather than unbalancing.

Just a thought anyway.

You could bring it pretty close to iron with Protection enchants, but that would reduce the effectiveness of potions.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Zor95 said:
You could bring it pretty close to iron with Protection enchants, but that would reduce the effectiveness of potions.

I could make them damage II potions then, perhaps. Or rather, everybody starts out with leather armor; you get some color upgrades, then perhaps you get iron armor/gold/diamond as you gear up, but ensuring that whatever the set of armor you have; the actual armor amount stays roughly the same.

So essentially, you start out with a stone sword with Sharp III, then iron with Sharp II, Diamond with Sharp I or no sharp. It'd be swell if you guys could do some testing to figure out what all the mostly equivalent combos would be, then I can see about making that part of Season 1 when this all gets stabilized.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Just noticed about the button on top of spawn that leads to the rated arena lobby. Since it can already bring people to the world the arenas are in, how about we add a little glass so that people in the lobby can see the fight? You probably wouldn't even need a spectate command block or anything, just make a path that leads near to the two arenas and you've got it made :D (Only to watch ofc.)

EDIT: Just thought of a counter-argument for this. One could be in the lobby and /queue, then wait for another person to join. If he thinks he has a good chance against him, he can join, if not /leave, therefore wasting time and server resources. Maybe have it so you can't /join while spectating or in the (now only for viewing) lobby?

Thieflord304

Slicer
Suggestion for how queue's work. Since some people like to try and farm their rank, I say Crypt adds in a way that when you fight one person, it's harder to fight that person again for a certain point of time. This would help against people who like to farm rank, and also give a bit more of a variety in fights, instead of fighting the same person, over and over again.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Thieflord304 said:
Suggestion for how queue's work. Since some people like to try and farm their rank, I say Crypt adds in a way that when you fight one person, it's harder to fight that person again for a certain point of time. This would help against people who like to farm rank, and also give a bit more of a variety in fights, instead of fighting the same person, over and over again.

A basic version of this has just been implemented. It should allow more time between two players matching against each other over and over. Currently, it only keeps track of your very latest opponent, so if you fight somebody 3 times, then somebody different once, you are likely to fight the first person again afterwards. I'm gonna just watch how the matchmaking goes for now, and if I need to make it more in-depth, I can.

Opyc

Slicer
Crypt

I think rating system rates should start at 1000 instead of 1500.

Reason:
*It makes more sense on telling whose better and worse
*1000 sounds better
*its a round number
*and you can tell how well you are doing easier

Opyc

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Opyc said:
Crypt

I think rating system rates should start at 1000 instead of 1500.

Reason:
*It makes more sense on telling whose better and worse
*1000 sounds better
*its a round number
*and you can tell how well you are doing easier

Opyc

See crypt its not just me :p

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I may opt for a different system when the "first season" starts. Since I'm referencing World of Warcraft, after a few of their first seasons of arenas, they switched from a system where everybody starts at 1500 to one that I agree makes a little more sense. One where you start at 0, but that you do not start to lose points until you're over 1200 rating. This ensures that players who have only played, like, one game (giving them a rating of something like 1518) are not rated better than the majority of all players who've played several and potentially fallen below 1500.

I'll look into this system as it more accurately reflects skill over time, rather than just awarding players who had one lucky streak one night. This will help differentiate between the active/inactive/new players as well.

Zor95

Slicer
So...

I'm sorry it took so long Crypt but I think I completely broke your system.

First of all, when Opyc joined a fight he did /queue and proceeded with the battle. He lost and died, dropping all the items he had before the match. These items of course were instantly deleted after the match.

I then joined a fight with Toi and died, but I misclicked and hit log-out rather than respawn. When I logged back in it told me I lost (again), took all the items I had on the other world, and failed to respawn me where I joined the battle. So I was sitting in this arena all alone. I decided to /queue and see what would happen. I got another match with Toi and when the battle began I was teleported back to my starting area and it seemed normal enough, but when I killed him it acted like a normal death and he dropped all his items. I tried using /join again and it teleported him back, we fought again, and when I won I actually gained rating and all seemed fine.

The next match was with Opyc. In the middle of the battle I decided to use /join just to see what would happen. It sent me to the starting area and closed my gate, but Opyc remained where I left him. The countdown began and the gate opened, I ran out to attack him and did it again. This time rather than wait for the gate to open I did /queue and received a match with Toi. I ditched Opyc in his arena and fought Toi, won, received my rating, then was teleported back to Opyc, killed him, and received rating from that battle. I should note that after all of these battles I respawned in the arena where I accidentally logged out.

It gets better. All of us began using these commands in the middle of battles. Opyc and Toi were fighting while Opyc and myself were /queued. We both used /join and happened to be put back into the same arena that Opyc and Toi were originally using. I spawn next to Toi, kill him, receive rating for that kill, the gates open, I run over and kill Opyc, gain more rating.

Eventually the others managed to get themselves stuck in the arenas as well. Toi tried logging out which forfeited him from the match and respawned him at his home bed with the arena gear on him. Hip would sometimes respawn at his home bed as well, though I do not know what causes this.

Sadly I lost a ton of rating tonight playing around with this, but it was fun at least b:

Misc:

• /join restores your gear so it gives a very nice advantage
  • Eventually we all respawned in what looks to be a lobby area with a teleport back to spawn.
  • Aaaaaand I lost 32 jungle saplings, a really nice diamond axe, plus a couple other items I'd really like back later. Not sure what Opyc lost.
  • Sometimes 5 seconds into a fight we'd be stopped due to "lack of deaths". The next match would end for the same reason before it even began.
  • After further testing we've determined that a /suicide in the arena will send you back to your home bed. Using /suicide at your home bed will send you to spawn.

andrekeroxd

Slicer
Zor95 said:
[*] After further testing we've determined that a /suicide in the arena will send you back to your home bed. Using /suicide at your home bed will send you to spawn.

[/list]

Probably doesn't belong here, but /suicide in the old world (Artifact map) and the old arena (first arena next to the wold world spawn) also send you to your bed. This works with settlers as well as nomads.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Basically, I just need to disable /queue and /join in the arenas themselves; easy enough. I still need to work on the inv-wiping bug when you disconnect after dying in an arena match. I plan for a more stable way to keep track of arena players, to hopefully better ensure that everybody gets their stuff back.

Thanks for the heavy testing guys!

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Lotsa bugfixes:

• You may no longer /queue or /join while already in an arena
  • Many bugs including premature death in arenas, both during the game and waiting for it to start have been fixed.
  • IMPORTANT: If you /leave when your queue has popped or if you fail to accept your invitation, this is now a forfeit and a loss. If you're queuing, you had better be prepared to play your game.

Back