Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

No Plans to Implement Remove Riptide when 1.13 comes out

Remove Riptide?

• Total voters

OperaGhost2004

One thing I have noticed when playing the latest snapshot for 1.13 is that Riptide is way too powerful. all you have to do is raid a town in the rain, and you're in.
(so long as you have a Riptide III trident.) this makes walls very nearly obsolete.
File:Riptide_Trident.png
all you need to do is throw it up, when it comes back, (which, if you have Loyalty III, will be very fast,) throw it up again, and you will be over the walls in no time. my suggestion is this: remove Riptide.

thanks for reading,

Opera

MasonMcBadbat

Slicer
Don't you think a much more reasonable change would be to disable it in just foreign towns, like elytras?
I'd just beware of the ways that can be exploited. From the minimal research I've done, it looks like you start moving before the trident lands. So it's not so much like an e pearl which sends you wherever it landed, and its not so much like an elytra since I don't think there is a specific "you're in the air right now because of a trident" field or an item that can just be turned off like the wings. It just looks like it gives you velocity in the direction you're looking. That could be used at the border of towns in a few ways that might suggest some easy ways over walls. Of course if Loka needs more raiding techniques then I suppose that's alright but I don't necessarily want to adjust my walls for it.

OperaGhost2004

I'd just beware of the ways that can be exploited. From the minimal research I've done, it looks like you start moving before the trident lands. So it's not so much like an e pearl which sends you wherever it landed, and its not so much like an elytra since I don't think there is a specific "you're in the air right now because of a trident" field or an item that can just be turned off like the wings. It just looks like it gives you velocity in the direction you're looking. That could be used at the border of towns in a few ways that might suggest some easy ways over walls. Of course if Loka needs more raiding techniques then I suppose that's alright but I don't necessarily want to adjust my walls for it.

I myself have tried Riptide on the new snapshot, and Mason97m is completely correct. I don't see any other reason why Riptide would even be useful, so why not remove in altogether?

DeceitfulPear

Guardian
I myself have tried Riptide on the new snapshot, and Mason97m is completely correct. I don't see any other reason why Riptide would even be useful, so why not remove in altogether?
Because it looks like it'll be good useless fun and a way to essentially e-pearl around town for free if your town doesn't have that perk yet. I personally believe on limiting usage rather than outright completely removing a game mechanic from the server (unless it is the only way)

OperaGhost2004

Because it looks like it'll be good useless fun and a way to essentially e-pearl around town for free if your town doesn't have that perk yet. I personally believe on limiting usage rather than outright completely removing a game mechanic from the server (unless it is the only way)

Good point, but how can it even be limited? even if it was limited, how can it work? I'm all for keeping it if we can limit it so that you can't use it in foreign tiles.

DeceitfulPear

Guardian
Good point, but how can it even be limited? even if it was limited, how can it work? I'm all for keeping it if we can limit it so that you can't use it in foreign tiles.
i mean they limited elytra use in foreign tiles I'm sure they'll be able to do the same with Riptide Tridents just like Sku said

ModernMozart1787

OperaGhost2004, ChessLlama, and I have discussed this at length, and we all agree that Riptide shouldn't be able to be used to raid towns. How that is done, or even if it's done at all is entirely up to the admins, but one thought is maybe not making tridents throwable into foreign towns. If you try to throw it into a foreign town, maybe it could fall at the border? This is just an idea, but I think it might work well.

Wizardteepot

Slicer
From my own experience, just to clarify, this seems relatively easy to code. Knowing Crypt, who has billions of times more experience of coding more than me, he could probably do it faster, and more efficiently.

Let's break down the problems here: Say a trident lands in an enemy town, and that, for whatever reason, is a bad idea.
ProjectileHitEvent: this is something commonly used in Spigot coding to track when a projectile hits an entity or a block. In this case, it'd be used to track what and where the trident hit. If it hits a block or entity, get that block and entity's location. Check to see if that Location is within a foreign tile. If it is, you can "cancel" the event, meaning anything that's supposed to take place after the event (i.e. damage that's applied, or the riptide effect) is completely stopped.

So you're outside an enemy town launching a trident in? What about ProjectileLaunchEvent or PlayerInteractEvent? Either or, this would help you track what the projectile is and where the projectile is getting launched from. As before, check to see if the player belongs to the town that owns the territory tile. If not, easily cancel the event.

So what's my point? First off, this is a very rudimentary explanation of two coding procedures that can help solve whatever issue the tridents may cause, but keep this in mind: Snapshots aren't finalized editions. Who knows when 1.13 comes out? I'd imagine if there's something entirely game-breaking, Mojang still has plenty of time to fix it. So sure, it may be good to try to judge these flaws now, but in my opinion, it's kind of fruitless. Regardless, the solution is relatively simple (to my limited understanding).

Steve5729

Slicer
@Skuhoo +1 also I really looked forward to using riptide in combat. Not going to say how because I'm being watched. WHOEVER YOU ARE I KNOW YOU ARE THERE AND I'M ON TO YOU! anyways I would really hate for it to be removed entirely

Back