Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

No Plans to Implement Revert Today’s Fishing Rod Update

bat3415

Staff member
Elder
to fishing rod somebody up you need to atleast BE on the wall and to be on the wall you need to climb it first so whats the point
Yea but you don’t have to climb it from the same side as the person trying to be rodded up. This means a town could have a completely inescapable wall from the inside but still be escaped because they can be yopped into the sun from someone that climbed onto the wall from the outside. If you don’t see a problem with that it is your right to have that opinion but I believe it’s a crazy mechanic to allow people to use to raid. You’re basically forcing towns to have their walls 30+ blocks from their border in every direction even if they do everything else right security wise. They could build to sky limit and still have their wall gotten over and survived by someone with a totem, and pulled out with a rod.

bat3415

Staff member
Elder
This is ludicrous because by this logic there is no need for door locking anymore or chest security. Door and trapdoor locking is the main reason rods aren’t OP.
I’m sorry I don’t follow, if anything this change makes door locking and chest/echest security more important than ever before.

mindblaster007

I’m sorry I don’t follow, if anything this change makes door locking and chest/echest security more important than ever before.
If they follow simple safety, there is no threat from rods making towns super raidable.
The whole point of the locking mechanism is too provide the safety you do have in town. Walls are an extra layer of security, they were never meant to be the only. Rodding is a mechanic to help get over walls. There is no reason why a town shouldn’t have to worry about locking doors and chests up and by removing rods you might as well remove the door locking mechanism.

koi0001

Guardian
This is ludicrous because by this logic there is no need for door locking anymore or chest security.
Before it was very possible to get out of towns through just having your friend yank you out. Raiding is still possible by finding exposed echests/holes within a town.

The vast majority of towns were already unraidable since they were underground, this change honestly affects a couple towns.

If you wanted you can still watch people build while invis and gank them, you can still go into a walled town and gank afk players, it's just difficult to escape.

If you feel so confident in your walls that you won't lock anything then go ahead, it is still very very possible to raid towns with walls.

Last edited:

obuth

Guardian
As someone who likes to raid, I can understand both perspectives on the issue. On one hand I agree that the fishing rod can be quite OP in certain situations. However on the other hand, it's been a part of the game for a long time and many players have gotten used to it.

I think a good compromise would be to perhaps limit the fishing rods effectiveness in some way, rather than removing it completely. For example, maybe the hook could have a shorter range, a longer cooldown time or it breaks within a few uses. I just think we should balance it more, rather than removing it all the way..

mindblaster007

As someone who likes to raid, I can understand both perspectives on the issue. On one hand I agree that the fishing rod can be quite OP in certain situations. However on the other hand, it's been a part of the game for a long time and many players have gotten used to it.

I think a good compromise would be to perhaps limit the fishing rods effectiveness in some way, rather than removing it completely. For example, maybe the hook could have a shorter range, a longer cooldown time or it breaks within a few uses. I just think we should balance it more, rather than removing it all the way..
I'm not opposed to this. I just think it's starting to get really shitty how insistent they are on killing the raiding aspect of Loka and, with it, part of the PvE community. First, it was pearl gates, then it was no slow falling, a couple of days ago they finally did away with being able to elytra drop into towns, and now rodding. Rather than killing raiding one feature at a time, why not just find a way to nerf? Shouldn't the community have some input into this decision?

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
It's important to mention that "aerial town entry" should not be possible in almost any case. You are meant to be teleported to the ground upon entering a town region if you are in the air upon entry. This is precisely so that people don't have to eat up a good chunk of their town border distance just to try to prevent elytra/punch/knockback entry.

Raiding on Loka has been nerfed/niche for years now. We ultimately made the call many years ago that Loka was a Conquest server, not a typical factions raiding server that require underground towns for any semblance of safety. We've wanted you to be able to build an above ground town where walls mattered, where you couldn't get items through SOLID WALLS just because "corner". It leads to many of the beautiful towns that Loka has seen over the year and I argue it's the reason we are a PvP server that also has good looking towns, which is not a common pairing.

This change is more addressing an oversight than anything, and probably should've been made long, long ago.

cookieIm

Muted
It's important to mention that "aerial town entry" should not be possible in almost any case. You are meant to be teleported to the ground upon entering a town region if you are in the air upon entry. This is precisely so that people don't have to eat up a good chunk of their town border distance just to try to prevent elytra/punch/knockback entry.

Raiding on Loka has been nerfed/niche for years now. We ultimately made the call many years ago that Loka was a Conquest server, not a typical factions raiding server that require underground towns for any semblance of safety. We've wanted you to be able to build an above ground town where walls mattered, where you couldn't get items through SOLID WALLS just because "corner". It leads to many of the beautiful towns that Loka has seen over the year and I argue it's the reason we are a PvP server that also has good looking towns, which is not a common pairing.

This change is more addressing an oversight than anything, and probably should've been made long, long ago.
then do something to prevent that, now there is 0 way to exit a town trap more than like 4 blocks deep

Last edited:

olpx

Add it like this please i dont think its fair to remove such an important life experience on loka everyone deserves to fall in a town and be rescued +100000000000000000000000

Jedoi

Slicer

When TnT cannons were banned, raiders had much of the same reaction. But towns used to be obsidian boxes to prevent this, and now look at the towns we have now. Beautiful towns should be more important than raiding - some of y'all going "just ban raiding at this point!" making me laugh bc I think that's a great idea. You can already kill people in the nether, end, RIs, and in the wild. My main point is each nerf to raiding has been a good thing for Loka.

PartayArc

Sentry
When TnT cannons were banned, raiders had much of the same reaction. But towns used to be obsidian boxes to prevent this, and now look at the towns we have now. Beautiful towns should be more important than raiding - some of y'all going "just ban raiding at this point!" making me laugh bc I think that's a great idea. You can already kill people in the nether, end, RIs, and in the wild. My main point is each nerf to raiding has been a good thing for Loka.
if raiding was completely removed my 30+ space between my walls and my border now mean nothing! :startthecar:

Vai

Sentry

I agree that fishing rods are a tad bit OP when it comes to raiding, I'm someone who raids a lot ( maybe a little too much) But completely disabling them is too much. balancing how fishing rods work is way better than just completely disabling it, not everyone is going to just afk outside their town or leave an echest out in the open, have a hole in their town so you can use a pig to get in/out. this makes getting out of town traps or towns almost completely impossible without /killing or by some miracle they leave a pearl gate or door open/unlocked. you can't pearl, fly, boat, drop items and being able to pick through anything anymore. Horses are buggy as they will kick you off within a certain height limit. people can still make towns above ground and have walls not 30+ in if they just took some simple safety pro-cautions. it makes a lot more sense to balance how they work by disabling regular fishing rods but adding in a special Fishing rod that has X amount of uses, can't be repaired with XP or Ancient ingots, maybe a special crafting recipe or costs X amount of shards when you buy from an NPC so that way its not entirely impossible to get out of towns and traps but still difficult.

Andward

Slicer
Raiding is already a very niche thing it’s not some incredibly overpowered tactic to screw people over or anything 99% of the time ‘raidable’ towns only have their war room open there are BARELY any towns with storages and owner rooms raidable

Back