Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Towns 2.0 Part 3: Perks

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
I've always wanted to but there's no real easy way to access a beacon and then modify it, so it seems. So that's why perks just become town-wide thingies.

At this time the only perks we're missing are levels 3, 16, 24, and 25. 3 and or 16 are perhaps reserved for aquatic buffs when 1.8 comes out. At this time there is no event I can modify for the loss of air bubbles, otherwise, I would have probably made that the level 3 perk or something around that area.

Kobeyador

Slicer
I have a quick question(I know... it sounds like an impossible task for me), but do town perks transfer into a towns nether protection? i.e 10% exp bonus in the nether protection.

MasterAegon

Slicer
I suggest the ability to toggle TNT damage or pearl use by enemies at level 25. Perhaps make this cost additional emeralds per day on the gen to balance the achievement?

Kobeyador

Slicer
I suggest the ability to toggle TNT damage or pearl use by enemies at level 25. Perhaps make this cost additional emeralds per day on the gen to balance the achievement?
To toggle off an enemies ability to use pearls in your town might causes an OP situation. If you can toggle off an enemies ability to ender pearl, would that leave you with the ability to use ender pearls? And then you would be able to go back to their town and use ender pearls if they are not lvl 25? It seems more of a punishment(IMO) for others then a reward for you.

MasterAegon

Slicer
Meh, there are ways to mitigate it and it still won't make you immune to pearl use, just help against it. Either block use or block ability to land on enemy territory. In any case, merely a suggestion.

pi314159

Crypt, there is currently a water breathing potion effect, so maybe you could give that instead of modifying the rate that bubbles decay?

Zor95

Slicer
Questions:

1) Why does buying from the market not level the market skill?
2) Why does the market give such small amounts of experience? After collecting a few stacks of iron I'm still only level 3.
3) Does smelting cobblestone give almost no experience or do you have to manually place it in a furnace?
4) Is there any easy way to provide us with a list of what actions level what skill or should we compile one ourselves?

pi314159

Smelting cobble gets almost no experience. You do not have to place it manually in a furnace. Similarly with alchemy you can create autobrewers and level up the alchemy skill in that way.

Buying from the market shouldn't level market skill imo because that just seems wrong :l Hard to explain exactly why.

Leveling:
Alchemy -Brewing occurs within town boundaries. No manual requirement.
PvE - Manual attack of hostile mobs occurs, unsure if it must be within town boundaries, but I think not.
World PvP - Manual attack of another player occurs. Can be outside town boundaries.
Farming - Destruction of the grown form of melons, pumpkins, cocoa beans, wheat, potatoes, carrots, netherwart, sugar cane, and any other food related plant (not vines or grass though). Also, murder of passive mobs.
Building - Placement of blocks, any blocks, including dirt.
Crafting - Crafting non-redstone, non-tool related recipes.
Mining - Destruction of stone and mineral blocks.
Excavation - Destruction of mycellium, grass, gravel, dirt, sand, and soul sand.
Logging - Destruction of any type of log. Use of lumber mill to produce planks.
Arenas - Participation in ranked 1v1 and 2v2 matches.
Battlegrounds - Participation in VoC, Overload, and VotA.
Cooking - Smelting of items within town boundaries.
Blacksmithing - Construction of tools via crafting bench.
Enchanting - Use of enchanting table to enchant tools and books.
Engineering - Crafting redstone related recipes.
Generator - Sacrificing emeralds to your town's generator.
Market - Sale of items to other players.

Zor95

Slicer
Farming - Destruction of the grown form of melons, pumpkins, cocoa beans, wheat, potatoes, carrots, netherwart, sugar cane, and any other food related plant (not vines or grass though). Also, murder of passive mobs.

Grass does give a tiny amount of experience and picking flowers also gives a decent amount which surprised me. I'm just wondering if there's any other surprises out there.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Questions:

1) Why does buying from the market not level the market skill?
2) Why does the market give such small amounts of experience? After collecting a few stacks of iron I'm still only level 3.
3) Does smelting cobblestone give almost no experience or do you have to manually place it in a furnace?
4) Is there any easy way to provide us with a list of what actions level what skill or should we compile one ourselves?

1). Kind of what pi said, there's nothing really to buying off the market, especially when you can put all manner of dumb things at dumb prices on the market. That said, I could see buying counting for less than selling...
2) Mag and I haven't done a pass on leveling stuff in awhile, could be looked at now that we have a lot more data to look at.
3) Smelting cobble gives you no experience because you can just place the stone, mine it, then repeat.
4) No real intent to publish a final list of what does and doesn't count as we tune it from time to time, adding and removing things. I'll answer some questions here and there or clarify, but doubtful we'll publish a list.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
For now though, here:

udqbVuQ.jpg

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
Level 16 Town Perk is in!
Road Building - Any of a variety of usual road blocks (cobblestone, gravel, stairs, slabs, double slabs, sandstone, nether brick, stone brick, and regular brick) that have a layer of cobblestone beneath will classify as a road. When on a road in a town with this perk, you will be granted Speed I.

Coinciding with this new perk is an added Policy that the Capital town can grant, increasing the road buff from Speed I to Speed II.

Defgnww

Slicer
Level 16 Town Perk is in!
Road Building - Any of a variety of usual road blocks (cobblestone, gravel, stairs, slabs, double slabs, sandstone, nether brick, stone brick, and regular brick) that have a layer of cobblestone beneath will classify as a road. When on a road in a town with this perk, you will be granted Speed I.

Crypt, can we add wood to the roads? I really need spruce oak slabs for my roads..

Zor95

Slicer
Idea for high level perk:

Allow a limited number of portals to be set up which allows you to teleport around your town. If possible, require that the user have building permissions to use the portal.

Back