Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Admin Abuse Ends Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Zor95 said:
I'm pretty sure you can still /tp [player x] without being able to /tppos and there are pluggins which put you in a "combat mode" which has different rules such as logging out creates a npc which others can kill and etc. It's mostly used on faction servers.

As for Crypt's suggestion...

The problem with that is it puts the majority of the load on Overseers. When you're an admin on this server it often seems like you're more of an employee. Mop posted on the first page that this is just a game. He is correct, it is a game and we should all have the opportunity to have some fun. Now that I am a slicer I can honestly say... being an admin was hell. I was actually working on a project that I wanted to work on about 5 minutes every hour. I could not PvP which is one of my favorite activities because of the constant claims of abuse.

My suggestion would give a small amount of power to all the slicers which would help take care of the more basic admin tasks. When a scenario arises where more power is needed it can easily be provided because 1) the admins aren't too busy and 2) they aren't burned out. It would also severely limit the power of lower admins so they are seen more as players, not employees or even gods in some cases.

I sometimes feel like an employee, especially when I am pulled off the other server I play. I get yelled at by the other players for not getting on, so I'm obligated now to get on at least once a day to make sure Epic isn't being stupid with his powers.

Zor95

Slicer
My suggestion also lowers the number of admins we need to keep the server free from spammers like the one that has been spamming us for the past 10 minutes.

Hint: His name is loffske

mopb3

Slicer
I would not give slicers any more power than they already have, it is as mentioned supposed to be a purely honorary title and frankly we have enough sentries to deal with issues that arise

As for the matter this topic has been discussing; I would be more than happy to have admins (guardian and overseer) not able to pvp, as long as they then cannot be killed by players as well ofc.

Zor95

Slicer
We have a number of sentries yes, but there is a problem.

Toi, Line, and Adder play around the same time (which isn't too often).
Gudbrandr has basically quit.
Mralchemy is on and off but not enough to be a reliable solution.
Andrekeroxd plays mostly at night.

Then our guardians...

Slimjim also plays at night for an hour or less
Loloplane is on for an hour every few days
Epicbacon is as discussed

Overseer...

Spunkiethefirst gone.
Gallazius gone.
Magpieman inactive due to lag and a life.
Mopb3. Enough said.

mopb3

Slicer
If I had a quid for every time I'd said this...

Point taken, but your statement isn't quite accurate. Regardless, if you have an issue please tell an admin about it, suitable action will then be taken :p

K

KenuDragonfire

So you give admins invulnerability? Last time I checked, Mag was one of the richest players on the server. Thieves steal from rich people. Alch was rich too. Even if this only applies to PvP, how else can I steal from admins who are smart enough to cover chests? By killing them. The only way to make it work would be to remove guardians and overseers from the game entirely, but honestly, what admin would want to play then? They'd be doing nothing for themselves just to help a bunch of 1-day-playing newbs. If you remove PvP and thievery from admins, what left do they have to fear? Falling off a cliff? /v. Walking and being attacked by our new hard-mode mobs? /v. Starvation? /tp to person near farm. The list goes on and on.

Loki

I have not quit, but I'm growing tired of BS behind ranks. Get rid of the abusive people, 'nuff said. I don't care how long they've been here, abuse is abuse. PVP hackers don't get second chances, why should admins who use their powers to influence PVP like a hacker get one? I also suggest that Sentries and above get /mute. Ban the spammers and advertisers, mute the people who rage a lot for a few minutes. It saves good players who have their wordy moments.

MrAlchemy

Slicer
KenuDragonfire said:
So you give admins invulnerability? Last time I checked, Mag was one of the richest players on the server. Thieves steal from rich people. Alch was rich too. Even if this only applies to PvP, how else can I steal from admins who are smart enough to cover chests? By killing them. The only way to make it work would be to remove guardians and overseers from the game entirely, but honestly, what admin would want to play then? They'd be doing nothing for themselves just to help a bunch of 1-day-playing newbs. If you remove PvP and thievery from admins, what left do they have to fear? Falling off a cliff? /v. Walking and being attacked by our new hard-mode mobs? /v. Starvation? /tp to person near farm. The list goes on and on.

I was never rich, I merely spent my time mining and retrieving the spoils of my effort. My bank account rests at 1k right now. But wealth has nothing to do with anything. It's all about community and building and having fun, not caring about how much the next person has in the bank or what they've got in chests... It's about the stories, people, and Loka as a server.

I dont think admins should have to worry about starving. I dont think admins should have to worry about fall damage. I dont think they should have to worry about mobs. I also dont think they should be able to attack other players. I dont think players should be able to steal from an admin or attack them and vice versa... the list goes on and on... I believe this because they are admins, and because they have responsibilities that extend to helping their fellow players and the server.

What other game have you ever played where a GM or an admin -ever- had to worry about these things?

If ethics are up for debate then lets make a set of solid rules that can be easily followed that enrich both the player's and admin's time on the server! :)

K

KenuDragonfire

A set of admin rules would be lovely, but I don't expect Asy or Crypt to be following admins 24/7 on the console logs, and I know for a fact that some would feel above the rules.

And the reason admins on other servers never have to worry about those things is because other servers suck, and all the admins have op.

Loki

Another knot in Epic's rope; I recently pulled a very large heist on Town Memrme, he's made sure it wasn't a secret that it was me who did it. Admins were asked to logblock the thefts but denied, Memrme was advised not to logblock it but of course, our favorite American Guardian, EpicBacon99 logblocked each and every chest that was stolen from, and sent a screenshot to our friends Luke and Kieran. Just another case of admin-abuse on Epic's case. I'm tired of the abuse, I'm so close to quitting I am so tired of it. Something has to be done, you can't let them run rampant and use their powers however they want.

Loki

Loki said:
Another knot in Epic's rope; I recently pulled a very large heist on Town Memrme, he's made sure it wasn't a secret that it was me who did it. Admins were asked to logblock the thefts but denied, Memrme was advised not to logblock it but of course, our favorite American Guardian, EpicBacon99 logblocked each and every chest that was stolen from, and sent a screenshot to our friends Luke and Kieran. Just another case of admin-abuse on Epic's case. I'm tired of the abuse, I'm so close to quitting I am so tired of it. Something has to be done, you can't let them run rampant and use their powers however they want.

EDIT: Epic logblocked ONE glass block that was theft-related and gave away my name and Memrme logblocked all of the thefts. Admin abuse is admin abuse people, no matter what your reasons are.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I think it is time i had my say on all this. All the ranks and powers were devised by myself and asymptonic after lengthy debates and conversations to try and solve many problems we had.

Originally before most of you began to play the server we only had 1 type of admin and one type of player (guardian and slicer). At the time this worked just fine and at its peak we had 4 admins, myself, mopb3, Gallazius, and Diabolicalmech. Then we began to lose some of these admins for various reasons and i was then the sole admin for a good few months. It was during this time me and asymp came up with the idea of a sentry rank so that we could have more admins on without giving them too many powers so that they could enjoy playing minecraft legit. (I therefore see no need for slicers to have powers as this is the purpose of sentries) The admin base started to grow again and we then moved to loka. It was then that all the other ranks were implemented, and the reasons were to keep players interested in the server and to continue playing as it would feel a waste achieving a rank and position in a server and leaving. Also to make a more gradual progression between ranks so players could become more trusted and take smaller steps. Finally it would allow new players to know which were the more experienced players, and who to ask questions if they had any. Therefore the ranks themselves are not the problem, as much thought has gone into them, although small changes can always be made to them.

The purpose of Guardians and above was always to be peaceful and not to get too involved with wars and personal grudges. This may put many players off the position but it is needed as someone to look up to and to treat everyone fairly when making decisions. They should also be players that are liked and trusted by all.

What maybe the issue is how players achieve each rank specifically the admin ones. Also educating the player base on what powers each rank have, and that sentries are very limited in what they can do, and don't abuse powers that they do not have. Players up to slicer should achieve these ranks on being a good trusted player who spends a fair amount of time on the server. I feel past slicer (the admin ranks) need to work differently. Currently admins are given the position on being online a lot and being trusted however this does not guarantee they will spend time doing admin work (looking for xrayers, sorting out griefs, stopping spammers etc).

I therefore propose that once the rank of slicer is reached those players may apply to become a sentry by posting an application form of some kind on the forums (this would be hidden so only those reviewing it could see). Sentries could apply for Guardian etc. If players do not wish to admin they do not have to as it is not for everyone but those who want to must do admin work required of them. If we implement this we may also want to ask most admins to reapply so it is fair to all.

I am also aware i have not been online as much as i used to recently but i do always pop on the server and read the forums at least once a day. I do apologise for not being as active as i would like, but I do try to spend what free time i have on the server. Hopefully i will have more free time in the near future.

adderman500

Slicer
1) Loki. I dont like ur snide backstabbing tone. Confront bacon himself if you have a goddamn problem with him.

2) I don't play as much as others. That I admit. Sometimes real life just gets in the way, eh? ;)

3) I am not in the same time zone as toi, and rarely play at the same time as him. I have seen him on very few occasions, which is a shame. Speaking of time zones, if it's American admins we need alch is in est, as he points out.

4) I don't feel playtime should determine who becomes admin. I think instead the position of admin should fall to those who contribute most positively to the server, and make loka a better place to play minecraft in. For this reason I feel people like toi and alch are great because they just build and build, and make the server great for other people, like me, to play in. I don't feel that people who partake in thievery and murdering other players should be admins as they tend to become unpopular and receive complaints from those who dislike them. Someone who just builds like toi is generally liked by the servers inhabitants and therefore can be more trusted to do a good job.

5) mag, I like ur idea of a place to submit an applicant form if you want a promotion.

EDIT: 6) I think guardians should retain the power to tp, or else what's the point in them?

Zor95

Slicer
Mag, it doesn't matter how ranks are chosen if they end up abusing their powers, and it is so easy to do so. You are always talking about concepts and ideas you have and how you think things should work, but I'm sorry to say that very little is working how you imagined it.

We need to completely change the system.

@ Adder

We need a wide variety of admins to represent each playing style. If the power of admins was more limited then there would be no problem with them raiding and pvping.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
The point is if the right people are chosen, and it is clear that guardians and above do not get involved in server conflicts then it will work very well.

Cryptite

Elder
Staff member
Elder
If Guardians and above are meant to be a neutral force, then a re-evaluation of admins needs to occur.

Loki

Well Adder, it isn't a problem with Epic. It is a problem with him abusing his powers. I am tired of him using them for his convenience and to others' inconvenience, or using them to personally help people who don't technically need admin help. I don't care what's moral, I care what is within the rules.

EDIT: Rather, I am tired of any admins abusing their powers. An admin who abuses his or her powers is just as bad as a hacker abusing what powers their hacks give them.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Yes Crypt as i say if we get people to reapply and Guardians are peaceful as intended there can be no abuse of power as sentries do not have a power that could be abused other than ban, and if they did abuse it they would be removed from their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back