Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Suggestion Removal/Nerf to KB

Melon

I have just recently started playing the server again (outside of duels) and have had the opportunity to experience first hand how unfair and stupidly broken KB swords still are on Loka. I had honestly thought that this would have been resolved a long time ago, as it had already seemed to be a pretty big problem on the server. I am creating this post in order to make a case for the removal of KB swords on Loka, or severely limiting them in some way, but also for those who see this issue differently than me to express their opinions and give alternate arguments or solutions.

From my point of view, there are only 2 reasonable arguments for keeping KB. These are knocking charges and (maybe) chasing kills. Requiring KB for knocking charges is understandable, as it would be extremely difficult to knock charges using only a standard sword or a bow. The other argument that I have sometimes seen given is that KB is very useful for chasing. I can understand this, as it doesn't seem fair that one person should be able to kite away from 10 with no way to catch them. Back in the day bow boosting was the simple solution to this problem, as whoever was better at it would either get away or catch the other. Before my ban I began to see the transition into KB swords being used to chase others, and I'm assuming this is how the entire "KB meta" developed in the first place. Someone realized that they could just KB people off of them whenever they needed space to pot or to refill, and there was never a reason not to. Anyways, it seems somewhat fair to have this mechanic in place now so you can't easily outrun a bunch of people. But, while KB is the solution to these issues, it also creates separate problems of its own.

KB has gone from just being used to knock charges, to being used to chase kills, to now being one of the most overly used items on Loka. Whenever someone is put in disadvantage during a fight, there is really no reason to not use KB. They have no incentive to tank the chain and try to find a way out of it (except in certain situations). This means that putting pressure on someone to get a kill is much more difficult, as all they have to do is look up once and spam click you off of them, sending you flying 10 blocks away. Once this happens all kill pressure is lost, as they can refill, reshulker, or pearl away. This issue also becomes exacerbated when fighting on any type of terrain, as once you are hit down a hill or mountain it takes even longer to get back up, and if you try to pearl they could also, immediately putting you a pearl behind. It becomes almost impossible to get or chase down kills alone, as they will only die if they qd, are at 0 pots, or they are actually so slow at refilling they can't look up to hit once. The main issue is that applying the kill pressure that would lead to them qding or not being able to refill in time is also no longer possible, as they can generate space extremely easily whenever they need to. This is the entire basis of potion pvp, and having an item counter so that it can only be accomplished sometimes isn't a viable solution in my opinion.

Both main arguments for keeping KB seem to have fairly straightforward solutions, although I don't have much of an idea how complicated it would be to actually implement them. For charges, only allowing KB around the tgen would seem to be a fair, as elytras are already disabled in certain zones (this also involves the elytras being put in a state of 0 dura so idrk if it even would work), or only allowing KB to only be used on people who are charged. The same could also be done for chasing, by only allowing KB to be used on teammates. I also have no idea if these solutions could actually be implemented, I'm just thinking of any potential way that might work.

Again, this thread is more an attempt to raise this issue for discussion, and try to gather more perspectives and arguments on this issue, especially those in support of keeping KB for generic use and why. I do not know the best way to solve this issue, I only know what I believe. KB seems to be broken, and I think it should be fixed. I look forward to seeing and debating your perspectives.

-Melon

bbrax

-1 kb already got removed from cove bro + was a vanilla mechanic to begin with... BUT if a kb nerf was NEEDED. just put a cooldown on it.

Asynchronized

Slicer
if cove can have these changes, why cant conquest have similar changes to a degree? or at least be tested

also just a reminder the meta is something players come up with, do with this info as you will.

Greeneryy

Muted
bro if kb gets even a slight change that drives it slightly away from how it is vanilla IN CONQUEST thats outrageous enough and we live in the worst loka times

olpx

ngl i only hate kb for some of the same reasons melon mentioned but why do you care about conquest if its removed in cove cryptite already changed and tweaked with shit a million times leave it be poor cryptite having to change numbers and remove things every month because one group hates or loves it even when a compromise is settled

Melon

I was hoping that those who disagree with me could give explanations on why they believe KB should remain as it is. I understand that it is a vanilla mechanic and it is better to try and keep the server as close to vanilla as possible, but I believe that KB has reached a point where making a change would only benefit the server. KB is no longer a utility tool used merely to knock charges, it is now used by almost every player on Loka in every instance of the game.
but why do you care about conquest if its removed in cove
I do agree that its removal from cove was a good thing, but I don't really like to call it a compromise. Realistically, the only thing that matters on Loka currently is conquest. Sets and shulkers are not worth enough to mean anything while ganking, the primary driver of this is that people enjoy pvping and want a more meaningful way to outside of conquest. My argument isn't that KB is not enjoyable to play against (it isn't), but rather that the way KB is being used now is not good for the server or fair to players on it. The reason for the 33% damage increase on Loka was that staying alive on vanilla damage was too easy. This change made it so, if you wanted to stay alive, you needed to learn how to refill and pot much faster than you would have had to normally. A player dying was no longer just decided by the fact if they had any more pots left in their inventory, but how quickly they could use them. KB is the counter to this, basically the counter to increased damage on Loka. You no longer need to know how to refill properly on Loka, whenever you need to you can just use KB to get them away. If you run out of potions, you just need to hit them once and you will have plenty of time to refill from a shulker. KB takes away from the entire reason that the 33% damage increase exists in the first place, to make it so that people die more often, and if you want to live you need to actually learn how to pot and refill properly. The only time people die now adays is if they accidentally pot late, are getting ganked by like 3+ people, or if they are actually completely out of potions. It is no longer possible to utilize the 33% damage increase to apply kill pressure, unless you are swarming the other player with a horde of people. I encourage those who disagree to explain why, and what the actual benefit is of keeping KB in its current state.

capybara

Muted
1. People on high Ms are really really annoying to counter without kb
2 why not just make a no kb mutator to compromise?

doota

I was hoping that those who disagree with me could give explanations on why they believe KB should remain as it is. I understand that it is a vanilla mechanic and it is better to try and keep the server as close to vanilla as possible, but I believe that KB has reached a point where making a change would only benefit the server. KB is no longer a utility tool used merely to knock charges, it is now used by almost every player on Loka in every instance of the game.

I do agree that its removal from cove was a good thing, but I don't really like to call it a compromise. Realistically, the only thing that matters on Loka currently is conquest. Sets and shulkers are not worth enough to mean anything while ganking, the primary driver of this is that people enjoy pvping and want a more meaningful way to outside of conquest. My argument isn't that KB is not enjoyable to play against (it isn't), but rather that the way KB is being used now is not good for the server or fair to players on it. The reason for the 33% damage increase on Loka was that staying alive on vanilla damage was too easy. This change made it so, if you wanted to stay alive, you needed to learn how to refill and pot much faster than you would have had to normally. A player dying was no longer just decided by the fact if they had any more pots left in their inventory, but how quickly they could use them. KB is the counter to this, basically the counter to increased damage on Loka. You no longer need to know how to refill properly on Loka, whenever you need to you can just use KB to get them away. If you run out of potions, you just need to hit them once and you will have plenty of time to refill from a shulker. KB takes away from the entire reason that the 33% damage increase exists in the first place, to make it so that people die more often, and if you want to live you need to actually learn how to pot and refill properly. The only time people die now adays is if they accidentally pot late, are getting ganked by like 3+ people, or if they are actually completely out of potions. It is no longer possible to utilize the 33% damage increase to apply kill pressure, unless you are swarming the other player with a horde of people. I encourage those who disagree to explain why, and what the actual benefit is of keeping KB in its current state.
bro is DEDICATED holy h*ck

doota

With this argument, you make it seem as if it is impossible to get kills in conquest. People still die and quick stop, but KB can prevent quick drops. Conquest fights are not a 1v1 simulator or a quick drop test, but are fights where both sides have to stay alive long enough to win. People still die, it just takes more effort. As you can see, recently a lot of recruits have joined Loka. KB allows them to stay alive and server their purpose, as fighters.

Melon

The skill cap is lowered, not everyone is a diamond pot god.
Well yeah, my argument is just that the skill requirement is lowered to a point where you no longer need to know how to pot to play conquest, taking away from the main feature of the server. And the argument that KB allows worse players to stay alive longer is true, but at the same time it makes better players invincible. This makes it so that in conquest, the majority of people who die in the beginning are just newer players who can't even survive with kb. There is no way to target and take out better players, you won't be able to kill them. This leads to the side with more qds just getting overwhelmed with nothing they can do about it. In an even fight the side with more newer players is basically guaranteed to lose, no matter how good their carries are. You are trying to say that taking away from the actual skill required to play the game is a good thing, which maybe I would agree with if it didn't effect the actual skill cap. But making it so that worse players have an easier time at the expense of the rest of the server isn't a good thing in my opinion.

capybara

Muted
Well yeah, my argument is just that the skill requirement is lowered to a point where you no longer need to know how to pot to play conquest, taking away from the main feature of the server. And the argument that KB allows worse players to stay alive longer is true, but at the same time it makes better players invincible. This makes it so that in conquest, the majority of people who die in the beginning are just newer players who can't even survive with kb. There is no way to target and take out better players, you won't be able to kill them. This leads to the side with more qds just getting overwhelmed with nothing they can do about it. In an even fight the side with more newer players is basically guaranteed to lose, no matter how good their carries are. You are trying to say that taking away from the actual skill required to play the game is a good thing, which maybe I would agree with if it didn't effect the actual skill cap. But making it so that worse players have an easier time at the expense of the rest of the server isn't a good thing in my opinion.
Newer players already have no kb at cove the main place where people learn to fight, again you still failed to ignore my point that using kb is the only way to make some players take kb bc of their ping (which can’t be controlled) so yeah. And also like I said before just make a mutator that is no kb to test your theory and make people freshen up their refilling skills

Melon

again you still failed to ignore my point that using kb is the only way to make some players take kb bc of their ping
Well, this really just isn’t true, which is why I ignored it the first time. Having KB while fighting players on higher ping may make it more convenient, but the same is true about every fight regardless of their ping. KB has the same problems in higher ping fights as it does in all fights, you cannot apply kill pressure. The only difference in higher ping fights is that sometimes they may land an extra hit when you trade to get them off of you. While a mutator may be a good idea (I don’t know much about them) I believe KB is incredibly broken right now so I’m pushing for a fix, while also seeing if people have legitimate reasons to keep it as it is.

doota

Why do you think we recruit people? Like it as it may be, they are really just numbers and meat shields in the beginning. Loka is a learning process, even the most terrible recruit could turn into a carry over time. The recruits have been getting better, people don’t quick drop as much. I think it just turns into whoever has the recruits that learn better (sand force)

Melon

Why do you think we recruit people? Like it as it may be, they are really just numbers and meat shields in the beginning. Loka is a learning process, even the most terrible recruit could turn into a carry over time. The recruits have been getting better, people don’t quick drop as much. I think it just turns into whoever has the recruits that learn better (sand force)
Dude what are you responding to. You entirely missed or ignored what I was saying.

Back