Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

What spawn needs

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Wanted to know what people wanted at spawn, i am already aware of a few things which i have listed bellow:

- some way of advertising towns
- A library/museum
- A battle arena

Lucifer09

Slicer
Other than the things you listed I think the thing spawn needs most is a good rules area and a place that explains towns and gens and even the roleplay, because new people are often confused about these things and It's not very fun having to explain them all the time.

adderman500

Slicer
I like the idea of having a huge museum there, and a battle arena. What else? i agree with lucifer, a huge rules, lore, and server info room with anything and everything u need to play here, including generator models etc.

K

KenuDragonfire

If there's a museum then it should be lore-based, and like Art said, towns need to have a purpose to exist.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Towns purpose is that players can build them and it gives them somewhere to live and store their items. Spawn is an information hub and i thought some kind of neutral arena would encourage some structured pvp. There is nothing stopping towns having a home arena.

Artagan

Slicer
Magpieman said:
Towns purpose is that players can build them and it gives them somewhere to live and store their items. Spawn is an information hub and i thought some kind of neutral arena would encourage some structured pvp. There is nothing stopping towns having a home arena.

But having a neutral battle arena in a neutral town is much more exciting, because the possibility of people not being neutral exists. We ought to allow for these things to happen, not force them.

The same is true of a library; having one at spawn makes it seem forced and phony. If we have a couple of huge libraries hidden across the server which players have to find and gain access to via towns, it's much more interesting and, in my opinion, fun.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Its also the fact that spawn should be easily accessible to people so they can resolve a conflict etc.

Artagan

Slicer
Magpieman said:
Its also the fact that spawn should be easily accessible to people so they can resolve a conflict etc.

It already does that, it's only a little bit non-accessible at the moment because of broken town portals.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I mean the arena at spawn would be easily accessible so people can easily go there to fight if they have an argument or conflict to settle. We could also use it to have tournaments between towns or factions if we implement them.

mopb3

Slicer
I think a world renown arena would be a good idea, but not at the spawn, have it separate instead

Artagan

Slicer
Magpieman said:
I mean the arena at spawn would be easily accessible so people can easily go there to fight if they have an argument or conflict to settle. We could also use it to have tournaments between towns or factions if we implement them.

All of that sort of thing ought to be done outside of spawn.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
Why, you make points with no evidence or reasoning (mop and art). Where do you propose this and why.

K

KenuDragonfire

I do not think there should be an arena at spawn, and if people want to settle disputes- go HUNT each other, as hunting is a lot of fun. Or you could talk it out. Because let's face it, how many issues are solved by PvP and that PvP is accepted by BOTH sides? Never. Sure, someone walks to someone else's town and kills them and then the victim complains, but uh, I wouldn't call that mutually accepted.

Tourneys should be set up by towns, they should have to build arenas, have people run back to get there stuff, etc. because if people WANT to use these things, they should be able to implement these things themselves, rather than getting a plugin that'd probably break everything.

The whole "town advertisement" thing should be at spawn, because newbs will see that immediately. If they have to walk more than that 500 blocks they already have to they'll rage.

Artagan

Slicer
Magpieman said:
Why, you make points with no evidence or reasoning (mop and art). Where do you propose this and why.

Very well, prepare for a dissertation.

A tournament hosted by a player town has the added element and variable of the host, as apposed to a tournament held at spawn which is held completely in common. The host serves to contribute to the overall connotation and tone of the event, both on a general and personal level. This additional variable, and it's irreplaceable nature relative to this particular form of event, facilitate a more interesting and dramatic sequence of events relative to the tournament and a more interesting cast to the tournament itself, as apposed to a tournament held in commons, which would gather that particular aspect or "mood" of the event from the general indicative variables presented by the participants (I.E. previous inclinations).

Additionally, a player town provides a more variable premise for the event itself. The possibility of the event itself being subjective to changing conditions makes it a more valuable thing altogether, as apposed to an event (tournament) held at spawn, which would be unchanging and bland in it's premise.

Also, the concept of an event held in commons, as a server wide spectacle, endorsed by the establishment (I.E. asymp, crypt, magpie) via specified use of plugins, is a very formal and to-do and not at all casual or fun thing. People fight in tournaments because they either love fighting, love winning, or both, and both come across as phony in this setting.

Now onto libraries. Compare and contrast the value of these two things:

First, a person either
1. joining a town with
2. finding
3. or being shown a massive, grand library, tucked away in some ancient place, filled to the brim with knowledge.

Second, a person joining the server, walking out of the pyramid, and having that library sitting right in front of them, plain as day, just begging to be ignored by every newbie who hates to read anything.

Which of these two things allocates more value to the library and the knowledge found therein?

Now onto museums. Yes, a general history of the server and our lore ought to be at spawn. But the real meat of the lore, and the really important things like The Artifact and the pieces of Preksak's Laboratory, and all the little bits and pieces found in Crypt's books and other sources; those ought to remain scattered as they are, so players have to work and be well traveled before they can learn about them.

Oh, now I realize I didn't address the "resolving conflicts" portion, and while I did the tournaments, I didn't talk about an arena itself. Let me elaborate.

No server conflict has ever been truly resolved without both parties electing to simply forget about it and no longer care. Fighting has never caused that to happen, nor have direct negotiations. A place for people to agree to fight one another at spawn will not help them settle real disputes, just fuel them or do nothing with regard to them.

An arena at spawn has been addressed with regard to tournaments and settling disputes; the only remaining function would be casual use. Yes, there is no direct reason why there should not be a place for people to fight one another casually at spawn, but there is also no good reason why there should. That void is easily filled by player towns.

Oh, I realize I haven't given proper formal evidence, only reasoning and relatable impressions. Well, if I've neglected to provide a properly formal citation for my conclusions, I'm ever so sorry.

:p

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
I would like to point out 2 things, one no plugins are required to hold a tournament. Two i don't see why we cant have arenas in towns and at spawn to give people the option of where to fight.

Artagan

Slicer
Magpieman said:
I would like to point out 2 things, one no plugins are required to hold a tournament. Two i don't see why we cant have arenas in towns and at spawn to give people the option of where to fight.

I wasn't referring to writing a new plugin, I was referring to the fact that Worldguard prevents PvP in the spawn area, and that plugin-related adjustments/actions would be required. Second, there's no more value in having an arena at spawn than in a town; ergo, there's no point to doing it.

Magpieman

Old One
Staff member
Old One
The point is it is accessible, people from different towns could have trouble getting to other arenas. It would also be nice to hold a server event every month or something where we have a competition at the arena. And it is very easy to just turn pvp on within the arena.

Zor95

Slicer
Magpieman said:
The point is it is accessible, people from different towns could have trouble getting to other arenas. It would also be nice to hold a server event every month or something where we have a competition at the arena. And it is very easy to just turn pvp on within the arena.

I see that as an opportunity to highlight each town on the server by having them host a tournament or some other sort of event.

Back