Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

Implemented Shields

Steak__

I agree, that's why I said earlier that shield disables should be much longer than 5 seconds. Something that I like to do when disabling a shield is pressing "wasd" (in that order) to get something similar to a circle strafe and spam click then. If done at a proper position it'll disable their shield and u will be out of the distance to where they can hit you which can deter their crit chain.
Someone gave the suggestion of getting a certain amount of fully charged hits would disable a shield too which isn't entirely a bad idea either.

Also, I'd like to add for all the people that say shield is a skillless item or whatever, how come if a shield is given to a random player, they don't perform as well as say HyperTotodile? Also, if shield is such an OP item shouldn't top damage and kills be dominated by shield pvpers?
I'm pretty sure holding down right-click and baiting another persons crit then critting them out takes no skill

Marioistrash

Guardian
even though i was memeing a bit in this thread i agree with the fact that shields are broken, my idea would be making it like cubecraft, which is shields block only a part of the damage (on cubecraft u take knockback with shields so on loka remove that) it would fix the fact shield players are "unkillable" as in they have to pot more often due to actually getting hit and it would still keep the superiority of shield users in objective play as they still dont take kb but theyre able to use the shield as often as they want which makes adding cooldowns and ultimately nerfing objective players unnecessary
wait this kinda valid

Frxnkey

I'm pretty sure holding down right-click and baiting another persons crit then critting them out takes no skill
The only reason someone would do that is if they were fighting someone that is utterly incompetent on how shields work. Unfortunately your grasp on how shield pvpers use shield is wrong.
If someone for whatever reason is just holding down right click could u not easily disable their shield with an axe?

Lurnn

Slicer
The only reason someone would do that is if they were fighting someone that is utterly incompetent on how shields work. Unfortunately your grasp on how shield pvpers use shield is wrong.
If someone for whatever reason is just holding down right click could u not easily disable their shield with an axe?
cooldown too short, spend more time trying to axe and then getting crit out waste

Sparky___

Slicer
I don't know if anyone needs to hear this, but, and keep in mind I am purely sharing this in the interest of furthering the discussion, here you go:

• Loka's 33% extra damage should mean that a player at full health will die if critically hit 4 times.
  • In theory/on paper player death should occur in 3.5 seconds IF you time everything perfectly/don't miss/lag/etc.
  • Shield recovery time is 5 seconds
  • Sword recovery time is 0.625 seconds.
  • Axerecovery time is 1 second (assuming diamond).
    • Axes have a base 25% chance to disable shields with an added 5% bonus per level of efficiency. This means an Efficiency 5 axe has a 50% chance to disable shields per attack.
    • If you're sprinting when you hit, an axe has a base 75% chance to disable a shield (Really this is 100% since base 25% + 75% sprinting bonus = 100%, over 100% obviously if you have efficiency enchantments as well).
Just thought these numbers might help provoke some thoughtful discussion. Carry on.

UPDATE: After some bald guy said I was wrong we discovered that if you just use an axe period it always disables?
UPDATE 2: Confirmed this is a Minecraft bug!

Last edited:

Frxnkey

I don't know if anyone needs to hear this, but, and keep in mind I am purely sharing this in the interest of furthering the discussion, here you go:

• Loka's 33% extra damage should mean that a player at full health will die if critically hit 4 times.
  • In theory/on paper player death should occur in 3.5 seconds if you time everything perfectly/don't miss/lag/etc.
  • Shield recovery time is 5 seconds
  • Sword recovery time is 0.625 seconds.
  • Axerecovery time is 1 second (assuming diamond).
    • Axes have a base 25% chance to disable shields with an added 5% bonus per level of efficiency. This means an Efficiency 5 axe has a 50% chance to disable shields per attack.
    • If you're sprinting when you hit, an axe has a base 75% chance to disable a shield (Really this is 100% since base 25% + 75% sprinting bonus = 100%, over 100% obviously if you have efficiency enchantments as well).
Just thought these numbers might help provoke some thoughtful discussion. Carry on.
The whole point about shield disabling with efficiency, sprinting and nonsprinting is completely wrong. It’s a common misconception because the Minecraft wiki is completely wrong about it. It’s a 100% chance to disable a shield on a hit no matter what charge, enchants, or sprint.

Sparky___

Slicer
The whole point about shield disabling with efficiency, sprinting and nonsprinting is completely wrong. It’s a common misconception because the Minecraft wiki is completely wrong about it. It’s a 100% chance to disable a shield on a hit no matter what charge, enchants, or sprint.
See the edit, this is a bug with Minecraft. Though, of course, that being the case it is still the way things are now. If I had to guess, based on zero evidence, this will probably continue to be that way until they do their combat update.

hiy0u

if you see someome holding right click shielding with no idea about what they are doing just disable shield and crit them out = ez damage
this is situational but not that hard (although DO NOT DO THIS IN A 1X1 YOU WILL DIE.)

jakeman5

Slicer
So what I am gathering from this discussion is that the general argument against axes at its current state is that the short duration that the shield is disabled doesn't warrant carrying around an axe. So the logical solution to this would be elongating the times that a disable affects the shield. I think this needs to be the main topic moving forward. In order to make the item fair to both sides the counter needs to be a viable option. This is the only solution to this problem that players are running into aside from removal of the shield completely.

Current shield recovery time is 5 seconds. This is extremely short. So in hopes of furthering this discussion, what would be a reasonable amount of time to increase the shield being disabled to? 25 seconds? 30 seconds?

Back